Thursday, April 16, 2009

If I Gained The World


This day has been such a mix of joys and sorrows. I've joined the world of Facebook and Twittering and I have been interested in the variety of contacts this brings. The familiar faces of friends and family that I don't see very often. This is definitely in the joy department! The chase of more followers and their tweets. Sorry, Larry and Ashton, I'm just not even tempted to keep up in this race though it does make for a time of fun distraction. There was a tweet today that led me to the blog of a grieving mother. Her son took his life about two weeks ago and she is blogging in an effort to work through the grief and to hopefully help others to not go through this type of tragic loss. The tweet about this blog was from a woman that attended the same church as the grieving family. One life lost is not just one life touched the sorrow builds out in rings like when a pebble is tossed into water. One life touching another, touching another. As a mother I can't help but think what if it was my child? My daughter walked a little too close to the fire during a recent bout of depression. Thankfully, I have been able to witness a healing that is none other than a miracle that happened during a time with her father and I and two dear Pastors named Scott and Dan who took the time to fervently pray over her. I'm not saying that the answer is always this simple, I know full well that there are times where counseling and or medication, or hospitalization is needed. It is a true neglect as a Christian if I assaulted with the pray and pull yourself together attitude! But likewise it would be a disservice to God if I did not share that I have been a witness that God does still deliver miracles and healing. While together with our daughter we were able to grieve with her about things that have happened in her past, to feel her pain as she struggles with a debilitating chronic illness and to laugh with her as the depression left her and the transformation on her face and the laughter that bubbled out of her was a true miracle that took place right before our eyes. The joy of the Holy Spirit working in her life!

Life is so full of joy and sorrow and the contrast today has been evident to me in so many ways. I was able to look at my grandson's photos as he is savoring his first bites of sweet potatoes with as much or possibly more ending up on his face than in his stomach. I laughed with joy as I was able to enlarge the photo and see that his hair is coming in about the same color as the sweet potatoes on his face. Yes, this definitely falls into the joy department!

I am a little weary tonight. I have been working a lot lately with both of my Etsy sites. I have had two more unexpected treasuries featuring my work. I am so delighted with this and I pray that it brings in sales. Yet as I work I find that I am focusing so much on this that sometimes it makes me feel very driven. And I feel the rush of excitement with the Treasuries and then the excitement of a sale which can be followed by many days of hearing nothing and no sales. Excitement/Disappointment all emotions. I had decided it was time tonight to stop working, to take a hot bath, read a good book, and listen to a new CD titled "The Longing" by Alberto and Kimberly Rivera. As I was reading my book titled "If I Gained the World" written by my new favorite author, Linda Nichols, I came upon the words of an old hymn.

"If I gained the world but lost the Savior,
Would my gain be worth the lifelong strife?
Are all earthly pleasures worth comparing
For a moment with a Christ-filled life?
Had I wealth and love in fullest measure,
And a name revered both far and near.
Yet no hope beyond, no harbor waiting
Where my storm-tossed vessel I could steer.
If I gained the world but lost the Savior
Who endured the cross and died for me,
Could then all the world afford a refuge
Whither in my anguish I might flee?"

That beautiful hymn will be the end to this day and accompany my thoughts as I fall asleep.

No comments: